Monday, April 9, 2012

Numbers

Give me a minute..... let me have my little pity party in this post.

If you click to the next blog, I won't blame you.... I probably would, too.

For the past 3+ months I've been working so hard on being healthier.  

I've cut out a ton of sugar (gave it up for lent AND have been doing my friend's 10 day challenge each month where we eliminate all sugar for 10 days a month).

I've been exercising.... running and training for a half marathon at the beginning of the year, been going to Bikram Yoga a lot for the past 3 weeks and sweating my rear end off.

I thought I was doing well...... all of my pants have been loose especially in my rear end.... including my jeans that have been too tight.

I've been feeling really good... I have so much energy, I've been sleeping great lately and I just feel better.

The past week at yoga, where I look at myself in the mirror a lot, I've been noticing that I look better, firmer, smaller maybe?

I got the tape measure out a few days ago and slipped it around my waist.  It was an inch and a half smaller than when I started yoga.  I was so excited.  I know that is a huge accomplishment.  

Now, I haven't been on a scale since summer.... if I have a number to focus on it drives me crazy, I become obsessed with the number.  

Well, today I went to the doctor for my yearly check up.  I stepped on the scale and saw the number.  It was a number I didn't like.  It's the same number I saw the last time I stepped on a scale.  

Now I feel like I'm focused on the number.  

And I hate it.  

I hate that a stupid number has become an obsession for me.

So, tomorrow I start my friend's April 10 Day Challenge..... I log my food, eat a green veggie each day, eliminate sugar and exercise for 30 minutes each day.  

I'm going to change my attitude in these 10 days.

And hopefully I'll be over the stupid number.

If you're still here, thanks for listening.

11 comments:

Brook Redhead Reverie said...

First of all I totally get your frustration. Been there too. However keep in mind muscle weighs more than fat. And numbers mean nothing as long as you feel great and are healthy. Keep up the good work you rock.

Elaine A. said...

Well, my number has gone up since I cannot run and there has been WAY to much birthday cake going in my pie hole lately!! ;-) Good luck to us both (I'm changing my ways too!)

Shana said...

I completely understand....try to focus on all the positive. I just read MANY great things to be proud of! Don't be so hard on yourself :)

Shannon said...

Hey SueMac - I totally get it! Don't go only by the number - I've been training hard for 3 months, and 'the number' has only moved down a few....BUT I can tell my body composition has changed, and swapping out fat for more lean muscle will play tricks with 'the number'. Keep doin' what you're doin' and the results will come!!!

The Frat Pack + Me said...

I am a number obsessed girl too. I wish I wasn't. And I don't even wanna hear the whole, muscle weighs more than fat. That never helps me. Wahhhhhhhh!!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

:( I feel ya. That stupid number can be so discouraging. I just like to ignore it. What matters most is how you feel! Keep up the hard work, lady!! And remember that muscle weighs way more than fat...you're probably just toning up your muscles. :)

That Pink Girl said...

YOU are SO much more than a number! If you're feeling strong and healthy - then those are REAL results!!! Keep,up the hard work!

The Millers said...

Oh how I know just what you are going through. Hang in there girl!

Ruth said...

I don't own a scale because I can get obsessed with that number. And do for a bit everytime I see it at the doctor. Focus on the positive that your clothes are fitting better.

Lisa said...

I'm going to sound like a broken record because like the others who have posted already, I totally understand how you feel and I do not own a scale because it would drive me insane. Hopefully by now your 10 day challenge has gone well and you're feeling good again! It's so important to focus on how you feel than the number on the scale. Sure, it's important to an extent but sounds like you're doing great and should be so proud of that!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Hey Susan! Just wanted to check in...hope you are doing okay! Miss your blog posts!