Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Birthday Thoughts


Yesterday was my 44th birthday.

I don't mind telling the world how old I am....... my age has never bothered me unlike some..... or maybe that's the world telling us we shouldn't get older.  What do you think?

Yesterday I was told "Happy 29th Birthday" several times.  Why do we do that?  I think back to how young and stupid I still was at that "perfect" age.  I actually liked 39 better..... and even 40.  It never bothered me turning 40.  

I think you are as young as you feel and I feel pretty darn young.  I can still run long distances, my joints don't creak or hurt, it's not difficult getting out of bed in the mornings and I've lived another year.

I have a few lines on my face, but mainly they are from smiling..... which means I've lived a happy life.  Nothing on my face is sagging... yet. 

I like that I get wiser each year.  Sure, I make tons of mistakes on a daily basis, but I feel like I'm figuring out life a little more each day.  And it feels good.

I'm more confident as a wife, mom, friend.  

I don't sweat the small stuff anymore. 

 Lately, I've been so busy with working, driving Elizabeth here and there and my house is a mess but, I'm not worrying about that anymore. 

 I haven't cooked dinner in the longest, but my family is fed each night.  

We're together.  We're happy.  There will be time to get myself and the house back in order next week when it's spring break.  There's a time for everything.

I don't worry about what others think.  If you don't like me, move on...... the ones that matter love me despite my failings.

I hope Elizabeth sees this new wiser, confident mom...... and I pray she's the same way, just earlier in her life.

I have the best friends.... I had so many calls, texts and facebook/twitter messages... they truly made me feel special on a day where I had to work, vote, pick up 8th graders from a confirmation retreat early to get them to a track meet.... and then sit at the track meet until 7:30 at night.

Aren't birthdays the best?

8 comments:

Yo Momma Runs said...

Happy birthday! I completely agree that every year just makes life better. Looking around at my kids and life, I can't even imagine going back in time. It would actually be pretty depressing.:) Thank goodness for growing and learning!

Kerri said...

Happy Birthday Susan! I love what you said. I just turned 42 and I feel much the same way as you. I don't sweat the small stuff either anymore. My only difference is a couple of wrinkles on the forehead...I always joke with my husband that I need botox! :)

That Pink Girl said...

Happy birthday!!! Yes, getting one year older just means we were blessed with one more year! I pink sparkle heart your attitude towards aging and your outlook on life!!!
I pray that this coming year will be filled with blessings!!!

The Frat Pack + Me said...

Amen! I am 45 and proud of it!! {I do admit 50 sounds scary though} I hope your birthday was as awesome as you are.

Lisa said...

LOVE this post!

I'm 48. I have to admit that this last birthday bothered me a bit. I think it's just the whole "50" thing looming around the corner. But I have a feeling I'm going to love my 50's. Once I get there...

Elaine A. said...

I just LOVE this. I feel the same way. I will be 37 in 11 days and I just look at it as a blessing, that I am well and have a beautiful family, etc.

Happy belated Birthday Susan!!

xoxo

Kerri @OhMann! said...

I LOVE this!! Thank you for some much needed perspective as I approach 39 this month. :)
Glad you had a Happy Birthday!! Hope this is a wonderful 44th year!

Mary said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I'm new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary